Skip to main content

On tour to the distant world

I listened tolerantly with tears in my eyes and sadness in my heart, when my associates narrated to me about the knowledge they gained, the experience accumulated and the time they enjoyed in the worlds far away from Bhutan, when they visited such worlds either sent by the government, projects or business. This was not because I am not happy here in Bhutan but I was jealous of the knowledge and experiences they gained. Is there day for me too when I can also go and collect such foreign knowledge and experiences? I wonder.

Negotiating flimsy bamboo bridge
Every time the metal bird of Bhutan with the mark Druk Air in its tail was on its way to and fro following its route crossing Chukha from high above, I wave safe journey and welcome back safely to Bhutan. I wonder if there is any chance for me to join this metal bird in its daily trip.

Our destination is a village afar
But did I barely realize that soon I was to be chosen as one nominee from Chukha to embark on study tour of Thailand on Watershed Management, Community and Private Forest. Here my lifetime fantasy of experiencing distant world would mature into actuality.

Members of the tour group
I could join the metal bird and gather the knowledge and experience from overseas lands and during the course of study tour, making tour of every community forest, private forest and watershed areas in Thailand, I have been engrossed filtering all experiences that are applicable here in my country.
We also erudite their mistakes so as to guarantee that we don’t commit the comparable mistakes when we apply the similar knowledge in our own country. We also shared with them what we have here in Bhutan particularly about the watershed management, community and Private forest.

Flimsy bridges provides just enough space on place step
Other than that, we also exchanged the informal and leisure cultural conversation reflecting the diverse cultures of each other. And I found all these are very unique here in Bhutan and that was the reason why we are proud to say that we are from Bhutan.

For all this, my full credit goes to Wang Watershed Management Project for funding our tour, which was very relevant, and I offer my personal gratitude and deep thanks for my immediate sector head who unbiasely nominated me among many other competitive colleagues.

Infact, I realized that we really could learn a lot from other countries as an added knowledge to what we have already learned in our own country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love for a Days’s Trip

‘To meet, to know, to love and to depart is the law of life’ someone has said it. We rally with strangers and people we have never known before in homes, schools, institutions and other public gatherings because we are born in different places. When we meet the strangers, we make friends with some of them and sometime we fall in love with few of them especially the young guys and ladies. We remains committed and dedicated to friendship or loveship, whatever the relationship you are sharing. But for how long? You got to ask yourself. One fateful day, you find that you are departing from your friend or lover going away to find your own friend, your own lover and your own foes. Ofcourse, it hurts so much but it is a law the life has framed and you ought to obey it. And if you don’t keep in contact through all possible means, it is much easier to forget. While traveling in the bus, you share the seats with someone especially with spinsters and you introduce, talk and become friend and s

A Long, long, long journey to Education

“Root of the education is bitter but the fruit is sweet” no one would know about it better than Kado. The fatigue of having to toddle to the school, fever of unending exams, the torture of having to burn the midnight oil, dozing in classes and the stern rigors are hard to endure, few even give up on the way but many endure it with utmost determination and commitment, because deep inside everyone knows it pays later. “Root of the education is bitter but the fruit is sweet” no one would know about it better than Kado Kado in the tender age of 12 is negotiating the lazily meandering footpath along the steep mountain. His school bag, full of books, pulls him back. His black naughty boy school shoe is all soiled, indication of how many times he has trudged that same footpath. He is on his way to the primary school in his village, almost 5 kilometers away. He has to make sure he is in the school before morning social work starts; else he gets penalized. Unlike the students who reside nearb

Defining Tsa-Wa-Sum in One’s own Perspective

If I am asked, I would boldly answer, “The Tsa-Wa-Sum is “Gyeb, Gyelkhab and Meser”, (King, Country and People). But not everyone knows about what tsa-wa-sum is. Hence, when the superior ask them, they are left to conceive their own tsa-wa-sum. Once a meeting was convened by the Dzongdag. In a large congregation of illiterate rural people, the Dzongdag thundered, “do you know what tsa-wa-sum is?” “Can anyone from the crowd tell me?” The crowd went to pin drop silence and no one seems ready to answer. Are they scared of Dasho or no one has the slightest idea what it is? Suddenly, a Ngalop man sitting in the last bench, for whom Dasho is hardly visible, stood up. With his head bowed low, he answers, “The three tsa-wa-sum are Ngalops, Sharchops and Lhotsampas”. “This is because they are the three race in Bhutan” Dasho went into bout of annoyance but before he fired the man, another Lhotsampa (Southern Bhutanese Man) supplemented, “the three tsa-wa-sum are Royal Bhutan Army (RBA) Royal B