Skip to main content

A Lady that Haunted and Hunted Me

Tring…..tring…the office phone buzzed. ‘Hello…this is Ugyen speaking’ I answered the phone. ‘Hi’, the first and short sweet accent on other side of the mouth piece allured me, which sounded like a melody in my ear ever heard.

I haven’t been familiar with the accent but there certainly was the bond with the lady on other side of the wire. A couple of years ago, I leisurely roamed over the Bhutanese chat and the tempting nick among the chatters caught my attention. I tried my luck and after some minutes of chat succeeded in dragging her all the way to msn chat. Here, we shared our pics and survived upto that extent. We didn’t put in much effort to go further if not even didn’t wanted to also.

The break was confronted for almost a year after which we again picked up the momentum and found ourselves indulging in the leisure chat. Day after day, we came closer until we gained an enough confidence sharing over the call numbers. And for no doubt, she has been always conservative. She chose to remain behind the curtain for the reason unknown.

‘So, you are the guy I always wanted to talk over’ continued the conversation. And the mysterious lady wanting me was something last in my expectation list. But, I was glad that, there is someone who is tracking me down the road. We went on with the talk but the more we talked over, she appeared to go further into the mystic world, disappearing herself deep into the maze, leaving me to frame up my own figure of her, pencil in my own portrait of her, phantom a picture that shares closest proximity and fantasize my literal imaginative manifestation of her.

‘Can I know who you are’ I enquired,
‘Am your lady behind the curtain’
‘Who could you be & how do you look like?’
‘Well, am not ready to tell you all this?’ and ‘you fr-fra-frame up yourself of me’
‘I cannot unless you give me little hint to lead the way’
‘Not today, perhaps next time’
‘I insist you; show up yourself for god’s sake’
After so much insistence, she almost resented,
‘Ok, my n-na-name is…hmmm…..see you later’, the phone hung up.

I took home the hardest of homework that evening. Over a night, I started exploring all possibilities to unearth my mystic lady only to deceive myself when I came out with nothing. Yet, I remained complacent and optimistic that I will one day fish her out of that darkness. I assured myself that a day will come when I will pull off the curtain and make a majestic glimpse into her. And ofcourse, I wasn’t sure who would she be, how would she appear like and where would she be? Yet, an unenlightened mind has the weakness of falling in so easily over what certainly is not worth.

The phone buzzed the next day again and now I have learnt to love the melody. I knew the more we indulge in conversation, the more she will get exposed herself. Yet, she glued very much and carefully dictated the movement of her boneless tongue. She made sure that nothing that will expose her naked should slip off her tongue. ‘Oh, she proves intelligent’ I told myself. Yet, conversation of her third call betray her when she did away with her small hint that paved the way of her removal out of my dream lady phrase.

She somehow couldn’t control her twsit of tongue when her hi5 address spilled the beans. Taking advantage of what little data I was fed, I started browsing through the e-add and grabbed over a pic. Yet, when I looked at those plumpy face, appealing eye at the point of conveying speechless message, flaxen hair that I would have loved fondling, I told myself, ‘hey…..this is the lady, who enjoys stealing my sleep, choosing to always enjoy awaking me from my deepest slumber’.

I made a printout of the pic and gathered in all information I could from all possible courtesy. I thought I can use this information and compile to construct her. Now, that I have even her duplicate, representing almost all of what she is, I was pretty sure that I am finally going to get rid of what bars me from knowing who she is.

Nothing bewildered me more than what it did when I finally succeeded to pull off the curtain and divulge her. I couldn’t digest the revelation of truth when I came to know that she is a lady who is residing in close proximity, married with the husband and a kid. What fool was I? How could I be so ignorant? How dare I do this to myself?

I had most peaceful sleep that night and my head felt much lighter. The mystery is solved and I no more have to brainstorm myself.

Now I wait peacefully till the destiny paves another trail for me to make the journey into world of romance and love. I keep praying that let this chapter be closed forever and bless me with new and fresh page of love, bypassing me of this undeserving adventurous love story. But still, I will have it hoarded in my solemn memory and disclose the legend later to send my grandchild into slumber to snore in the cradle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love for a Days’s Trip

‘To meet, to know, to love and to depart is the law of life’ someone has said it. We rally with strangers and people we have never known before in homes, schools, institutions and other public gatherings because we are born in different places. When we meet the strangers, we make friends with some of them and sometime we fall in love with few of them especially the young guys and ladies. We remains committed and dedicated to friendship or loveship, whatever the relationship you are sharing. But for how long? You got to ask yourself. One fateful day, you find that you are departing from your friend or lover going away to find your own friend, your own lover and your own foes. Ofcourse, it hurts so much but it is a law the life has framed and you ought to obey it. And if you don’t keep in contact through all possible means, it is much easier to forget. While traveling in the bus, you share the seats with someone especially with spinsters and you introduce, talk and become friend and s

A Long, long, long journey to Education

“Root of the education is bitter but the fruit is sweet” no one would know about it better than Kado. The fatigue of having to toddle to the school, fever of unending exams, the torture of having to burn the midnight oil, dozing in classes and the stern rigors are hard to endure, few even give up on the way but many endure it with utmost determination and commitment, because deep inside everyone knows it pays later. “Root of the education is bitter but the fruit is sweet” no one would know about it better than Kado Kado in the tender age of 12 is negotiating the lazily meandering footpath along the steep mountain. His school bag, full of books, pulls him back. His black naughty boy school shoe is all soiled, indication of how many times he has trudged that same footpath. He is on his way to the primary school in his village, almost 5 kilometers away. He has to make sure he is in the school before morning social work starts; else he gets penalized. Unlike the students who reside nearb

Defining Tsa-Wa-Sum in One’s own Perspective

If I am asked, I would boldly answer, “The Tsa-Wa-Sum is “Gyeb, Gyelkhab and Meser”, (King, Country and People). But not everyone knows about what tsa-wa-sum is. Hence, when the superior ask them, they are left to conceive their own tsa-wa-sum. Once a meeting was convened by the Dzongdag. In a large congregation of illiterate rural people, the Dzongdag thundered, “do you know what tsa-wa-sum is?” “Can anyone from the crowd tell me?” The crowd went to pin drop silence and no one seems ready to answer. Are they scared of Dasho or no one has the slightest idea what it is? Suddenly, a Ngalop man sitting in the last bench, for whom Dasho is hardly visible, stood up. With his head bowed low, he answers, “The three tsa-wa-sum are Ngalops, Sharchops and Lhotsampas”. “This is because they are the three race in Bhutan” Dasho went into bout of annoyance but before he fired the man, another Lhotsampa (Southern Bhutanese Man) supplemented, “the three tsa-wa-sum are Royal Bhutan Army (RBA) Royal B